Thomas Wintersson

• Männlich
  • aus Bern, Schweiz
  • Mitglied seit 19. Januar 2022
  • Letzte Aktivität:
Erhaltene Reaktionen
Profil-Aufrufe

Abwesend vom 19. März 2024 bis 3. April 2024.
Grund: inaktiv.

• Guten Tag Liebe Community

Aus gründen der Einfachheit und des Klanges der Aussprache ändere ich meine Namensschreibung

von:

Fritz Thomas Wintersson / Fritz T. Wintersson / F.T. Wintersson

zu:

Thomas Wintersson / Thomas Wintersson / T. Wintersson

Genannt formell: Rct Wintersson

Genannt kollegial: Thomas / Tom

Vielen Dank für die Kenntnisnahme

gezeichnet: Beat, alias: Thomas Wintersson

• Thomas Wintersson's diary

Day1

After a week full of tasks at the registration office, the supplie barracks and a visit by the assigment officer Sgt A. Walsh I was finally ready to join the basic training at 1900 by the Flag at HQ.

Not long after my first steps in this completely new environment I noticed a small agiation among the recruits, soldirs and officers around me. Barely abel to stand in line or sholder my gun right, I was given an order from Sgt Walsh:

"Wintersson! the company has been reasigned to a diffrent drillcam by company command for a batallion drill. The basic training must wait for now. The war waits for no one!"

I received the coordinats for the new drillsite an found my selve soon to be left alone at HQ. During my first few moments in this new surroundings I noticed someting strange with my hearing. Although I was in perfecly good shape when I first arrived it seemd as I had problems to communicate propperly with my fellow soldiers. Now as every man had left the ground and I had a minute to spare, I went to the medic tent to check my ears and tounge for its required functionality. The medical check was a success and the comunication shall not longer be a problem for me. So with a small delay I rejoined my company.

I was overwhelmed! Never in my live had I experianced someting even colse to what I shoud see next. Hundrets of men, all perfectly lined up like a well oiled warmachine. And at the far left end, Rct F.T Wintersson. Struggeling nearly all the time with finding my place among my comrads in the line, I managed to march through the batallion drill without getting disscharged for my missteps. With a feeling I can only discribe as euphoric I feld ready as never to join the battlefields to come. No wonder, who would have thought my first shot from a rifle would be in an battalion formation.

The War has finally come to me. As we load the guns and fix bayonets bevor standing in line I can hear the guns firing from the distance. The pace is hinger as we move out and I start struggeling to find my place again. In all this mixture of new experiances, envirement and finally the rush of the battle makes me loose konzentration even more. And so for obvious reasons i can hear multiple direct orders shouted throuht the noise of the battlefield:

"Wintersson! get in line! Wintersson to the right! Wintersson to the right, not the left! Wintersson! what are you doing?"

I did my best, to be as usefull to the company as possible, but after the second battle has endet, I now feel exhausted. The battle is done and I find myself in the debrefing room of the 52ndNY. Still in rigidity due to everything I just had seen today I hear the vioce of companie commander Cpt P. Frank:

"Wintersson! anything to ad to the debrifing?"

Shock! Silence! I did not expect a recruit to be ask at the first day of war to speak out to the entire company. Stuttering I speak my gratitude to everyone. After the debrifing I am assignet to Sgt J.Biek to conclude my registration for the 52ndNY.

Now after some final training shots on my own at the drillcamp the day is done for me. I go to bed with a hing liftet spirit and am eager to see what the future wil bring for me in this war for the future.

signed: Rct Thomas Wintersson

Gefällt mir 1
    • Nice inside look in your thoughts Recruit Wintersson, and the rest is well deserved. But, if your Boots are not shining and your Bajonett is still full with Rebelblood at the next Drill, I make you shine the boots and Bajonetts of the whole Company!!! :)

Sgt Andrew Walsh

• Yes sir! My Boots and Bajonette will reflect the sun and blind the whole rebel army Sir! By the way Sir! With all the respect Sir! I would like you to know: Ich beherrsche die Deutsch Sprache vollumfänglich! I only write the diary in english for my love camilla and all my friends back home in Fort Collins. If I shall die in the glory of the battlefield, they shall know my last days. Unfortunately they do not speak the german tounge. But I will understand you in english and in german equally Sir!

signed: Rct Thomas Wintersson

• Thomas Wintersson's diary

Day2

With the turbulent start of my live in the army yesterday still in my bones I was pulled out of bed early today. Hopefully I shall receive my urgent required training of basic army knowledge where my first thoughts. When I left the tent in perfectly polished boots and a sun reflecting bayonet at my hip, I was happy to see other recruits like my. Seemingly clueless of what to do or where to go, stumbling trough the drill camp in the hope to find the flag where we suppose to meet. Finally I found the flagpole and there was already, well lets call it a line drawn by a 2 year old. I placed my self at the left end. More and more the recruits and volunteers dropped in, and the officers inspected the spectacle from a healthy distance. Not far from me I heard a voice I could not identify:

“Make a note. The company only gets a half a ration this evening! Look at these boys! Buttons missing, dirty boots and half of the man haven't even shaved this morning!”

“Yes Sir! Noted Sir!”

I felt alright because I knew I could not be my fault. I spend the whole evening polishing my boots and bayonet, checking my uniform and even shaved before leaving the tent this morning. I felt as ready as never. Specially due to Sgt Walsh's order from last evening. The Drill started slowly and the officers explained everything nice and slow, so even the simplest of minds would have a chance to learn what it means to be in the army. We where marching half a day in various formations. Even a short shooting exercise was at order. I am pretty sure we killed every living bug and bird in this small shrubbery the company leader led us aim at.

Lunch time. Me and my comrades were sitting round the tree not far from the drill camp. The food was nothing special but hey, for a man who started his live poor and hungry for most of his childhood it tasted like a five star menu at the Ritz. During the lunch break I noticed, most of my fellow recruits had a small book they where reading. All of a sudden I remember Sgt Walsh mentioning a “drillbook” earlier this day. And even 2ndLt O'Keefe, our company leader during the volunteer, referred several times to a certain drillbook during the exercises. I felt a cold sweat running down my back. Have I overseen something? Did I left my book when I reported for duty? I spent the rest of my lunch break searching for my drillbook. But nothing! Anyway the lunchtime passed and the second half of the day was near.

“Who had never have any training in skirmishing?”

O'Keefe wanted to know. And nearly two-thirds including me where separated from the rest of the company for beginners training. First we where placed to observe the more experienced soldiers. After that it was our turn. Well lets describe the second half of the day as interesting but stressful. Skirmish training was very interesting not to mention exiting, but after a day full of training my concentration was, well lets just say not as fresh as a mountain spring. And again I heard my name more often:

“Wintersson! get back!” “Wintersson! you don't want to stab your file partner! But that dam riffle over your shoulder!”

As the sun slowly closed in to the horizon our Company Commander Cpt P. Frank arrived at the drill ground. He gave a short speak about an upcoming big battalion event and how he expect the 52ndNY to be presented at it's best. Later there will be another fighting exercise like the one yesterday he said. My thoughts where shattered! “Yesterday was only a training battle?” I Asked my self. And I felt a little disappointed because I did not recognize a training battle from a real one. Anyway for reasons I did not really comprehend I was ordered back to HQ and could not participate in the battle today. Is it possible my Camilla had something to do with that? My father in law has some pretty strong influence in the racks of the army. Well I don't know and I don't really want to know.

On the way back to my tent, along with the orders which found them self dismissed from the training battle, I crossed the way of Cpt P. Frank. Like learned today I stud still and salute the Captain. Suddenly he stud still, turned my way and walked strait to me. I did not know what was happening. First the absent of my concentration in the afternoon second the dismiss from today's training battle. What does he want from me ? What did I do wrong? Rigid I stood there but my mind was exploding. Now he stood direct in front of me. He's uniform was perfect, he's beard had a nice cut, he's authority was and is undisputed! And on the other side me, a new recruit not even able to tell apart a training battle from the real deal. Without a word, he pulled a small bock out of he's poked and gave it to me.

“Have fun!”

He said. And went about hes way. My relief was indescribable. Of course! How stupid of me to think my Camilla should be powerful enough to get me dismissed from a training battle. The word I had no drillbook must have found its way to the officers and finally to the captain himself. Without any orders I knew exactly what I had to do: read! So I went back to my tent, prepared and cleaned my equipment for tomorrow and started reading.

Now after reading the whole book for 2 times in a raw my eyelids are barely holding up. I close the book, blow out the light and shut them down for the night. My final thoughts are with our Cpt P. Frank. Such a great leader who cares about every single soldier in the company. I feel like I am home in the foreign and I am thrilled to call Cpt P. Frank “my Captain”!

Signed: Rct Thomas Wintersson